Summer Externship Program
Medical students between their first and second year of medical school.
- Early exposure to emergency medicine via shadowing physicians in a busy community center.
- Continue to develop history and physical examination skills with the help of Emergency Medicine attendings and residents.
- Progressive responsibility with the ability to perform independent patient evaluations and present directly to the senior resident/attending.
- Participation in resident and medical student didactics. These are in addition to a curriculum specifically designed for the externship.
- Learn and practice various procedures in our simulation center (i.e. intubation, central lines, chest tubes, suturing, splinting, ultrasound and running resuscitations.)
- Develop skills reading and interperting evidence based medicine by attending our monthly Journal Club.
- Specific training in ECG interpretation and other clinical skills.
- Development oral presentation skills.
- Free student housing and parking provided.
- Successful completion of MS-1 year.
- Weekly clinical shadowing shifts and observed history and physical exams.
- Attendance at Tuesday medical student academic days.
- Attendance at scheduled medical simulation sessions.
- Completion of oral case presentation.
Four weeks: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 to Friday, June 25, 2020
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a stipend but you will have free on campus housing in our South Hall Dorms. You may have a room mate. Free parking is also included.
How do I apply?
Send an essay outlining your interest in the program (500 words or less) and a curriculum vitae to email@example.com by the application deadline of March 19, 2021.
PLEASE STRUCTURE THE FILE NAME OF YOUR CV AND ESSAY AS FOLLOWS:
<Your last name> Externship CV
<Your last name> Externship Essay
Accepted students will be notified via electronic mail in April 2021.
Krystle Shafer, MD
Nicole Peters, DO
Course Directors – Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship
Department of Emergency Medicine
WellSpan York Hospital