Summer Externship Program
Medical students between their first and second year of medical school.
- Early exposure to emergency medicine via shadowing physicians in a busy community center.
- Continue to develop history and physical examination skills with the help of Emergency Medicine attendings and residents.
- Progressive responsibility with the ability to perform independent patient evaluations and present directly to the senior resident/attending.
- Participation in resident and medical student didactics. These are in addition to a curriculum specifically designed for the externship.
- Learn and practice various procedures in our simulation center (i.e. intubation, central lines, chest tubes, suturing, splinting, ultrasound and running resuscitations.)
- Develop skills reading and interpreting evidence-based medicine by attending our monthly Journal Club.
- Specific training in ECG interpretation and other clinical skills.
- Development oral presentation skills.
- Free student housing and parking provided.
- Successful completion of MS-1 year.
- Weekly clinical shadowing shifts and observed history and physical exams.
- Attendance at Tuesday medical student academic days.
- Attendance at scheduled medical simulation sessions.
- Completion of oral case presentation.
Monday, June 6, 2022 to Friday, July 1, 2022
Housing is provided free of charge at an off-site location. All students must have a vehicle, no exceptions. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a stipend.
How do I apply?
Send an essay outlining your interest in the program (500 words or less) and a curriculum vitae to email@example.com and Cc firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline of April 20, 2022.
PLEASE STRUCTURE THE FILE NAME OF YOUR CV AND ESSAY AS FOLLOWS:
<Your last name> Externship CV
<Your last name> Externship Essay
<Will you be able to secure your own housing? Yes/No (please indicate on application.
Accepted students will be notified via electronic mail in April 2022.
Nicole Peters, DO
Course Director – Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship
Department of Emergency Medicine
WellSpan York Hospital